Monday 14 September 2015

What to do on a dull day

A brand new sketchbook arrived at the weekend. A Stillman and Birn Beta series 5.5 x 8.5 ins with 270gsm cold press paper, which I have been trying to find for some time but the suppliers always seem to be out of stock..

Stillman & Birn are an American company and their range of sketchbooks have recently taken the art world by storm. So I thought I'd try one.

A little pricy at 12.00 pounds sterling but not the most expensive by any means. The big attraction for me is the hardbound portrait format which opens flat, and I look forward to sketching a range of subject matter in it.

I do like a sketchbook with watercolour paper rather than cartridge, although the better quality cartridge takes a watercolour wash perfectly well.


At 270 gsm, the paper is a good thickness (cartridge is usually about 150gsm by comparison) if a little on the hard side to be ideal for me.

However I have only tried one page so far and really it seems silly to be quite so picky. I think the advantages will be enormous as the physical size of the book and the fact that it doesn't have a huge dip in the middle far outweigh any other petty grievance.

Full marks to the manufacturers for filling the gap in the market and providing an excellent product in the format and size that makes so much sense.

Check out www.stillmanandbirn.com for their range of  premium sketchbooks for dry and wet media, watercolours and inks.

No comments:

Post a Comment