Friday 23 January 2015

Three degrees under

 
Minus three degrees
watercolour on paper
7.25 x 11.25 inches
(12 x 16 mounted)
 
It was minus three degrees when I set off this morning and it didn't take long to find an irresistible view - actually there were any number of views crying out to be painted.
 
 
The washes were actually freezing on my metal palette, but I managed to prevent them from becoming too slushy by putting an old theory to the test. I had added a drop of brandy to the painting water before I set out and it seemed to work ! Do oil painters have such problems, I wonder?
 
 
Fallen tree
watercolour on paper
7.25 x 11.25 inches
(12 x 16 inches mounted)
 
I am often asked how I know when a painting is finished. The answer today when I reached this point in "Fallen tree" was easy - My fingers were so cold I could no longer grip my paintbrush. Time to finish - Simple!
I don't know that I have ever been quite so cold and so happy...
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment