Thursday 22 January 2015

Calm waters

 
Calm water
watercolour on paper
7.25 x 11.25 inches
(12 x 16 inches mounted)
 
This morning I went for a walk across the meadows to the little river which meanders slowly through the landscape. The early morning fog was just lifting as I set up my easel and began sketching in the main elements of this peaceful scene.
Two dogs appeared from nowhere chasing each other excitedly and just as I was fearing for the safety of my easel they performed a mid-air U-turn and disappeared back to their owners whose voices hung clearly in the air two fields away.
Painting trees in a winter landscape is one of life's greatest pleasures even when one is swathed in five layers of clothing ! Nature has a way of spreading a calming influence over all and rejuvenating the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment